In order to reduce heating and cooling costs and achieve optimal comfort inside your living space, it’s important to know the best temperature at which to set your thermostat. The temperature setting will vary depending on the purpose, activity or time of the year. Here, our central air conditioning unit experts share some general examples you should know about.
- The ideal at-home temperature during daylight hours is 70-78°F. If a family member insists on maintaining a cold household temperature, this is your best defense. Setting a lower temperature than normal in an attempt to cool your house faster doesn’t work, so be sure to avoid doing this.
- The best temperature while away from home is 85-88°F. Turning the thermostat setting up will keep the heat and humidity levels under control while you’re away from home. It’s okay, however, to turn your AC off if you don’t have pets or plants that will be at risk of overheating.
- The most energy-saving temperature is 78°F. You can reduce cooling costs by cranking the thermostat up by eight degrees, according to ENERGY STAR, a program that promotes the energy efficiency of heating and air conditioning systems.
- The ideal temperature for sleeping is 66°F. This mild drop in temperature is perfect for promoting sleep.
- The ideal temperature for a baby is between 65 and 74°F. If your baby is too hot or too cold, adjust the temperature. You can determine this by feeling your baby’s chest or ears.
- The ideal temperature for pets is from 64 to 78°F. Keep in mind that pets like fish and tropical amphibians don’t possess natural coping mechanisms for changes in temperature, unlike most mammals.
- The ideal temperature for houseplants is between 60 and 75°F. Make sure not to go below 50°F or above 85°F if you can’t stay in this range.
M & M Heating & Air Conditioning Service Co. is a top-rated HVAC company in Stockton, CA. We install smart thermostats, repair AC units and more. Our technicians aim to provide the comfort and efficiency you need through industry-leading products and services. Call us at (209) 952-6580 or fill out our contact form to set up an appointment today.