While water heater settings are not that complicated, the right temperature setting can help you get the most out of your water heater — and maybe even prevent accidents caused by scalding. In today’s post, M & M Heating & Air Conditioning Service Co. discusses how to determine the best setting for your water heater.
Factors to Consider
- Energy savings. Setting your water heater temperature a few degrees lower can help you save on gas or electricity. The recommended setting for water heaters is 140 degrees, but you can set it as low as 120 degrees to save on energy. It’s important to note that water temperatures below 120 degrees may pose health issues by allowing certain types of bacteria to thrive.
- Family size. Mornings can be a battle for hot water if you have a large family. Whoever uses the bathroom last will likely end up taking a cold shower! Raising the water temperature to 140 degrees can help you get more from a tank full of hot water. Alternatively, consider installing a tankless water heater.
- Your dishwasher. If your dishwasher does not have a booster heater, you’ll need to set your water heater temperature to 140 degrees.
How to Get the Most from Your Water Heater
The following are a few things that can help boost your water heater’s performance, as well as improve its efficiency:
- Insulate the water heater tank. Insulating the water tank will slow down heat loss, which will prevent the heater from turning on too often.
- Keep the water tank clean. Mineral build-up within the water tank can affect its performance and lifespan. Have your water tank flushed regularly and keep up with scheduled maintenance.
- Replace your old water heater. Gas and oil-powered water heaters lose efficiency over time. Continuing to use one that’s reached the end of its lifespan may be costing you more. Replacing it with a new, more efficient heater can help you save significantly on heating costs in the long run.
Contact Us Today for Your Heating & Cooling Needs
Need help with your water heater or HVAC system? Call M & M Heating & Air Conditioning Service Co. at (209) 952-6580 or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment.